Alabama State Capitol Decorated for Wedding

Capitol.jpg

Title

Alabama State Capitol Decorated for Wedding

Subject

Old State Capitol
Penick, Ladie Fonville, 1895-1986
Penick, Clifton Hewill, 1885-1952

Description

The old Alabama State Capitol Building in Tuscaloosa was decorated for the wedding of Ladie Fonville and Clifton Penick. The Alabama State Capitol was located in Tuscaloosa from 1826 until 1847.

The stone foundation of the capitol was laid in 1827 and work was completed in the late fall of 1829. After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishing were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes. In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building for ninety nine years to the newly formed Baptist-affiliated Alabama Central Female College. At this time, a large brick four story dormitory was constructed at the west of the building.

The capitol building was used by the Alabama Central Female College until it was destroyed by fire on August 22, 1923 when a construction worker accidentally set it ablaze. He was soldering a piece of flashing while repairing the dome and the building caught fire. The historic building was totally destroyed by fire. In the 1930's, the site was cleared for use as a park.

Clifton Penick was a lawyer and counsel for the board of trustees at the University of Alabama. He was part of the transaction to buy the University Club. Ladie Fonville Penick was a writer and arts supporter.

Source

Pam and Clif Penick

Date

October 9, 1918

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2587

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

8 inches by 10 inches

Social Bookmarking