Miller-Harrison-Laseter House, 1601 Alaca Place

Miller Harrison Laseter Hou.JPG

Title

Miller-Harrison-Laseter House, 1601 Alaca Place

Subject

Houses and homes

Description

This 2-story house is in the shape of a cross with 3 entrances and 3 porches. Originally the house was facing west with an avenue of Oak trees leading to it from Queen City Avenue.

The house was probably built by William Miller in the late 1850's. Richard Baugh bought the home in 1863 for $23,000. He was a prominent cotton mill operator, but during the Civil War, he went bankrupt and was forced to sell the house.  J. Calhoun Harrison bought the home in 1879 and his family resided there until 1920.  Mrs. Harrison was a local poet knowm for her beautiful speaking voice.  The Neilson Laseters also occupied the house.

(Past Horizons, 1978, p.23)

Creator

Betty Slowe

Source

Betty Slowe

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Format

Photograph

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2583

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking