University High School, 1890

High school.tif
high school2.tif
highschool2a.tif
high school3.tif
highschool4.tif
highschool5.tif
highschool7a.tif

Title

University High School, 1890

Subject

Verner, William H. , 1846-1900
Military schools
Preparatory schools

Description

A copy of The Catalogue of the Officers and Students of University High School for the Academic Year ending June 2, 1890, Tuskaloosa, Alabama.

The University High School was founded in October, 1877, in Tuscaloosa by Professor William H. Verner. It was designed to be a preparatory school for youths for the State University. Its exercises were conducted in various parts of the city until 1886 when Verner purchased the old convent property in the eastern suburb of Tuscaloosa and established a military boarding school. He later changed the name to Verner Military Institute.

The military institute was a great success until Verner died in 1900. Professor H.M. Somerville Jr., who had been chief assistant to Verner reopened and conducted a school there until the property was sold.

The buildings were situated on South University Street (now Paul W. Bryant Drive). The main building was shaped like the letter H. Each wing had three stories with two rooms on each floor. The central portion had the same number of rooms as one of the wings with double galleries front and rear measuring 50 feet by14 feet each. There was also one two-story brick house of 4 rooms, another of 5 rooms and one of six rooms, plus a brick stable of 65 feet by 35 feet.

(Information from "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography," Vol. 2)

Creator

University High School

Source

Tuscaloosa Public Library

Date

1890

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)
Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Document

Identifier

2557

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Booklet

Social Bookmarking