Alabama Museum of Natural History, Smith Hall, 1928

Smith Hall2.jpg

Title

Alabama Museum of Natural History, Smith Hall, 1928

Subject

University of Alabama
Museums
Smith, Eugene Allen, 1841-1927

Description

The Alabama Museum of Natural History, with thousands of invaluable specimens from all lines of scientific research, is a lasting monument to the energy, labor and love exhibited by Dr. Eugene Allen Smith. He was appointed as state geologist in 1873 and Dr. Smith spent nearly 40 years surveying, mapping and collecting scientific specimens throughout the state of Alabama.

According to historic records, the cornerstone for Smith Hall was laid on May 28, 1907. Alumni President Hill Ferguson placed in the cornerstone “documents and souvenirs which would help some yet unborn generation glimpse the glory of the day.” The construction of Smith Hall was completed in the fall of 1909 and it was “formally dedicated with appropriate pomp and ceremony at Commencement, May 5, 1910.”

Smith Hall consists of a three-story central section built to house the Alabama Museum of Natural History, and has a two-story north and south wing. The north wing originally housed the Department of Biology and the matching south wing was for the Department of Geology. Both wings still contain classrooms and labs used by students today. The basement currently houses the Museum’s teaching collections and field research equipment.

https://almnh.museums.ua.edu/about-the-museum/

Source

Ian Crawford

Date

1928

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2491

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking