Little Round House, 1928

Rouond House.jpg

Title

Little Round House, 1928

Subject

University of Alabama

Description

The Round House, known as the Little Round House, was originally the Guard House of the University, It was completed in 1860 and reflected the conversion of the university into a military campus. The conversion occurred on February 23, 1860, by an act of the Alabama legislature. As tensions between North and South escalated, the request for the transition came from the university president of the time, Landon Garland. It was built to protect the students on guard duty from the elements. It was also used as a headquarters for the University Drum Corps. The building is one of the few structures on campus that remained after the Federal troops burned the University.

When the university reopened its doors in 1871 the building was used as a physician's office. A few years later, while in a deteriorated condition, the building was considered for demolition. It was saved by the university trustees and converted into a records repository. It became known as Jasons Shrine during the 1930s, while being used by the Jasons, a men's honor society. 1990 saw the structure converted into a memorial for all of the honor societies.

Source

Ian Crawford

Date

1928

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2490

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking