A menu from Nick’s, now Nick’s Original Filet House, from the early 1940’s when the restaurant was located in Knoxville, Alabama, just across the Greene County line from Tuscaloosa. Although the prices have gone up from this menu, the motto “Just A Good Place” remains true today.
Nick’s, often referred to as “Nick’s in the Sticks,” was founded by Nick Delgado in 1932. The restaurant moved to Culver Road in Tuscaloosa County in 1952 when Tuscaloosa County became a “wet” county. The next owner was Richard Norton who sold the business to Lloyd Cotis Hegenbarth in the mid-1980s. Since his death in 2014, his widow, Carla Hegenbarth has owned and operated the business.
One of its attractions is a ceiling covered in dollar bills. Patrons write their names or messages on a bill and it is then posted on the ceiling. Although most are US currency, there are some foreign bills left by visitors from around the globe.
The restaurant has remained in the same building, with the same decor, and the same menu specialties for years. Its unchanged character brings locals and students to its out-of-the-way location returning for more of the same year after year.