McAlpine Home, 621 Queen City Avenue, 1841

McAlpine.tif

Title

McAlpine Home, 621 Queen City Avenue, 1841

Subject

Houses and homes

Description

This house is also know as the Turner-McAlpin-Fellows House, It was built in 1840 by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Pittman Turner. It belongs to the Frontier type made elegant with French Gothic lines and etched glass around the door entrances. The house was sold to the McAlpin-Fellows family in 1903.

In April 1865, Union General Croxton used this house for his headquarters while he was carrying out his destructive mission in Tuscaloosa and at the University.

Description from "Past Horizons," Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society, 1978, p. 17.

Creator

Union Furniture Company

Source

Union Furniture Company

Publisher

Union Furniture Company

Date

1991

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Drawing

Identifier

2444

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Drawing

Physical Dimensions

8.5 inches x 11 inches