Music Room, Tuscaloosa Public Library, 1959

Music.jpg

Title

Music Room, Tuscaloosa Public Library, 1959

Subject

Public libraries
Tuscaloosa Public Library

Description

A photo of the music room in the Friedman Library, 1305 Greensboro Avenue. This was a service made possible in the larger building first occupied in June 1958.

In 1955, the ante-bellum house at 1305 Greensboro Avenue was purchased by the YMCA for $70,000. In a prearranged agreement, it was then exchanged with Mr. Victor Hugo Friedman for the north half of the block containing the Battle-Friedman House. The YMCA used that property as the site for the new central YMCA building. Mr. Friedman gave the house to Tuscaloosa County for use as a public library. The library which moved from the Searcy House, 815 Greensboro Avenue, was then known as the Friedman Library to honor Mr. Friedman’s generosity.

Creator

Tuscaloosa News

Source

Tuscaloosa Public Library

Publisher

Tuscaloosa News

Date

January 30, 1959

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Newspaper

Identifier

2429

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Text

Exploring Music

A music room at the Friedman Library, furnished by the Tuscaloosa Pilot Club, now affords listeners an opportunity to acquaint themselves with masterworks of the world's great composers as well as with lighter selections.  Listening with earphones above are Comille Powell (left) and Janie O'Neal, Tuscaloosa County High School students.  A library staff member, Mrs. Hugh McKeon, is assisting the girls.  The room is dedicated to the late Miss Ruth Carr.  (News staff photo)

Original Format

Newspaper

Social Bookmarking