Zeta Beta Tau

Zeta.JPG

Title

Zeta Beta Tau

Subject

Fraternal organizations--United States

Description

A marker erected by the Alabama Historical Association marks the site of the Psi chapter of Zeta Beta Tau , the first Jewish fraternity on the University of Alabama campus.

Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) was first organized in New York at Columbia University as a youth Zionist Society, officially becoming a Greek letter fraternal organization in 1903.

The original Psi chapter was colonized in Tuscaloosa with 15 men. As ZBT thrived, two additional Jewish fraternal organizations, Kappa Nu and Phi Epsilon Pi, also formed chapters on campus. Ultimately both merged into ZBT at the national and local levels. No longer an exclusive Jewish fraternity, ZBT has been open since 1954 to "All Men of Good Character" who understand and appreciate its mission and founding purpose.

The historic marker was erected on the occasion of Zeta Beta Tau's Centennial at the University of Alabama campus, March 2016, on Jefferson Avenue in Tuscaloosa.

Creator

Betty Slowe

Source

Betty Slowe

Date

April 5, 2017

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2323

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking