Wallace-Ozment House, Greensboro Avenue
Houses and homes
The house known as the Wallace-Ozment House was built on Greensboro Avenue in 1830 by Dr. John Wallace. The house was a raised cottage with the first floor of brick and the second of wood. In 1870, William Henry and Elizabeth Ann Jenkins Hays occupied the house. In 1881 the Ozment family (Thomas Jefferson Ozment, 1838-1916, and Martha Jane Bailey Ozment, 1848-1944) occupied the house for 63 years. Mr. Ozment died in 1916, but Mrs. Ozment continued to occupy the house until her death in 1944. At that date, the house was sold and turned into apartments. The wide front steps were changed to accommodate two entrances. The house was demolished and a Texaco station was built on the site at an unknown date.
Betty Slowe (Description)