Little Hall

Little Hall.jpg

Title

Little Hall

Subject

University of Alabama
Gymnasiums

Description

A postcard of Little Hall which was named for Livingston native William “Bill” Gray Little (1873-1938), a transfer student who came to The University of Alabama in 1892 and became the father of Alabama football. When he arrived on campus, Little began to teach students the game of football, which he had learned as a student at Phillips Academy-Andover. That year, the University launched its first football team with Little as the team’s captain. Because of this, Little Hall was named in his honor after its construction in 1915. The original Little Hall building was designed by Frank Lockwood, of Montgomery, in a classical Revival style and served as the University’s first stand-alone men’s gymnasium. The gymnasium housed rooms for boxing, wrestling, special exercises, trophies, lockers, baths, and a large main hall with galleries for spectators.

Since 1965 the building has house the School of Social Work.

Source

Paul W. Bryant Museum

Contributor

Taylor Watson (Description)
Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Postcard

Identifier

2255

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Postcard

Social Bookmarking