Tuscaloosa Public Library, 1305 Greensboro Avenue

Image.jpg

Title

Tuscaloosa Public Library, 1305 Greensboro Avenue

Subject

Public libraries
Tuscaloosa Public Library

Description

This photo shows the Tuscaloosa Public Library when it was located in the house now known as the Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion. In 1955, the house then owned by the Burchfields was purchased by the YMCA for $70,000. In a prearranged agreement, it was then exchanged with Mr. Victor Hugo Friedman for the north half of the block containing the Battle-Friedman House. The YMCA used that property as the site for the new central YMCA building. Mr. Friedman gave the Burchfield property to Tuscaloosa County for use as a public library. The library which moved from the Searcy House, 815 Greensboro Avenue, in 1958, was known as the Friedman Library to honor Mr. Friedman’s generosity. Before moving to the Searcy House in 1926, the library was housed in the basement of the County Courthouse beginning in 1921.

A new and larger public library was built on River Road (now Jack Warner Parkway) opening in 1979.

Creator

Graphic Newspaper

Source

Tuscaloosa Public Library

Publisher

Graphic Newspaper

Date

April 25, 1963

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Newspaper

Identifier

1985

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Text

The Library is a Busy Place

Young Joe Dockery, six-year-old son of Mrs. Vera Dockery stretches hard to check out a book at the Friedman Library during National Library Week. 

Librarian Edna Turner helps him.

Original Format

Newspaper

Social Bookmarking