Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion as Public Library, 1305 Greensboro Avenue, circa 1960s

friedman-2a_c186204a04.jpg

Title

Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion as Public Library, 1305 Greensboro Avenue, circa 1960s

Subject

Public libraries
Tuscaloosa Public Library
Friedman, Victor Hugo 1878-1965

Description

The Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion when it housed the Friedman Library, 1958 - 1979.

In 1955, the house then owned by the Burchfields was purchased by the YMCA for $70,000. In a prearranged agreement, it was then exchanged with Mr. Victor Hugo Friedman for the north half of the block containing the Battle-Friedman House. The YMCA used that property as the site for the new central YMCA building. Mr. Friedman gave the Burchfield property to Tuscaloosa County for use as a public library. The library which moved from the Searcy House, 815 Greensboro Avenue, in 1958, was known as the Friedman Library to honor Mr. Friedman’s generosity. Before moving to the Searcy House in 1926, the library was housed in the basement of the County Courthouse beginning in 1921.

A new public library was built on River Road (now Jack Warner Parkway) opening in 1979.

Source

Tuscaloosa News Archive

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)
Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

196

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

5 x 7 inches

Social Bookmarking