Emily Estes Snedecor Hospital, Stillman College, 1941

Snedecor Hospital, Stillman College.jpg

Title

Emily Estes Snedecor Hospital, Stillman College, 1941

Subject

Stillman College (Tuscaloosa, Ala.)
Snedecor, Emily Estes

Description

Interior shot of the Emily Estes Snedecor Hospital at Stillman College, taken in 1941.

In 1930 a nurses' training school and hospital was opened at Stillman College. It had been built in 1929 using a $42,500 grant, which was the entire 1928 Woman's Auxiliary Birthday Offering of the First Presbyterian Church, Tuscaloosa. It was named for Emily Estes Snedecor who was responsible for its creation. She was the Dean of Women at Stillman College when it became co-educational in 1923. The training school closed in 1946.

The hospital served as the only healthcare facility for African-Americans in West Alabama until 1948.

Source

Stillman College

Date

1941

Contributor

Crystal Mealer (Description)
Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

1224

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking