Hunter's Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, 1107 22nd Avenue

Hunters Chapel.jpg

Title

Hunter's Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, 1107 22nd Avenue

Subject

Church
African-American--History--Tuscaloosa

Description

Hunter's Chapel AME Zion Church was organized in 1866, the first black Methodist Church in Tuscaloosa. Its first house of worship was a rented building that stood where Bryant-Denny Stadium now stands. The first structure built by the church was completed in 1878. The present structure was erected in 1881 with exterior brick added in 1910. This church , often called the 'father" of black education in Tuscaloosa, included a school for children of freed slaves during Reconstruction in the 1870s.

The church was named for Rev. E.H. Hunter, who served with distinction as pastor during the 1880's.

Creator

Betty Slowe

Source

Betty Slowe

Date

Jan. 17, 2014

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)
Tuscaloosa Public Library

Type

Photograph

Identifier

1120

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph