Leach-Redel House, 1927 7th Street, circa 2013

Leach Redel House.JPG

Title

Leach-Redel House, 1927 7th Street, circa 2013

Subject

Houses and homes
Architects
Straiton, J.

Description

The Leach-Redel House was built in 1904 by Dr. Sydney Leach and his wife Naneita McEachin Leach, possibly to plans by architect J. Straiton of Greensboro, Ala., who had designed a house for Mrs. Leach's sister, Eudora Otts, several years prior.

This structure features the bay room on the street front and has entrances on both street and avenue fronts. The original front porch wrapped the northwest corner and the front door was later swapped with an adjacent window from the projecting bay.

The house is a one-story frame dwelling with a wrap-around porch abutting the front bay. The roof of the porches are supported by seven, round, Ionic wood pillars.

The house was restored by "Antique Monthly", and served as their national headquarters. ("Past Horizons", Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society, 1978)

The Kettledrum Club, Tuscaloosa's oldest women's group, was organized in this house with Mrs. Leach as hostess.

Creator

Betty Slowe

Source

Betty Slowe

Date

Sept. 24, 2013

Contributor

David Nelson (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

1081

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking