Jones House, 1804 4th Street

Jones House2.JPG

Title

Jones House, 1804 4th Street

Subject

Houses and homes

Description

The Jones Home, originally a two-story structure with no porch, was built by Dr. John Owen, a Methodist minister and former mayor of Tuscaloosa (early 1830's), for his daughter Sarah Frances Owen. Miss Owen married Thomas Jefferson Burke, an early Tuscaloosa newspaper editor.

Although a disastrous fire destroyed the second story and did extensive damage to the structure, the beautiful paneled doors and woodwork of the original house remain. Devane K. Jones, a local attorney, acquired the property and home in the 1880's. (Past Horizons, Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society, 1978)

Creator

Betty Slowe

Source

Betty Slowe

Date

Sept. 24, 2013

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

1080

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking