Owen-Free House, 1817 3rd Street

Owen Free House.JPG

Title

Owen-Free House, 1817 3rd Street

Subject

Houses and Homes

Description

This house, part of a home built circa 1826 by one of Tuscaloosa's first doctors and a Methodist minister, was purchased by the late Dr. John Gallalee, longtime University faculty member and president of the University of Alabama in 1940. The 1820's portion of the house consisted of two rooms and a hall downstairs and one room on the second floor. The original portion of the house is built with four-by-four studs resting on 12- by 12-foot sills. The beaded clapboard exterior is rarely found in Tuscaloosa and indicates the quality of construction that went into the old Owen house. The "gingerbread" that was installed on the porch now forms part of the "interior pergola" of the bar at the University Club. ( Past Horizons, Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society, 1978)

Creator

Betty Slowe

Source

Betty Slowe

Date

Sept. 24, 2013

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

1977

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Social Bookmarking