Alabama State Capitol at Tuscaloosa, 1826-1847

Capitol 1826-1847-h.jpg

Title

Alabama State Capitol at Tuscaloosa, 1826-1847

Subject

Old State Capitol

Description

Drawing of the Alabama State Capitol building that was located in Tuscaloosa from 1826-1845. Originally in Cahaba, the capitol was moved to Tuscaloosa because of flooding in Cahaba. The Capitol Building was designed by William Nichols, Alabama State Architect, who also designed buildings at the University of Alabama. After the Capitol was moved to Montgomery in 1845, the Capitol building was used as the Tuscaloosa Female College from 1856 until 1923 when the building burned. The remains of the Capitol building now serve as a park for the City of Tuscaloosa.

Creator

Union Furniture Company

Source

Union Furniture Company

Publisher

Union Furniture Company

Date

1993

Contributor

Tuscaloosa Public Library
Betty Slowe (Description)

Rights

Union Furniture Company

Type

Drawing

Identifier

1027

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Drawing

Physical Dimensions

8.5 inches x 11 inches