Browse Items (2470 total)

McQueen Ray House.JPG
This 12-room English Tudor style house is constructed of wood and masonry with rock trim. Restored by Mr. and Mrs. Martin Ray, the structure now contains an enlarged kitchen and redesigned bathrooms. The third floor of the house is a large room with…

Tags:

Jones House2.JPG
The Jones Home, originally a two-story structure with no porch, was built by Dr. John Owen, a Methodist minister and former mayor of Tuscaloosa (early 1830's), for his daughter Sarah Frances Owen. Miss Owen married Thomas Jefferson Burke, an early…

Tags:

Leach Redel House.JPG
The Leach-Redel House was built in 1904 by Dr. Sydney Leach and his wife Naneita McEachin Leach, possibly to plans by architect J. Straiton of Greensboro, Ala., who had designed a house for Mrs. Leach's sister, Eudora Otts, several years…

Tags:

Foster.JPG
Located at 815 17th Ave., in the heart of Tuscaloosa’s Druid City Historic District, the house was built by Marmaduke Williams, a representative in the Alabama State of House of Representatives from 1821 to 1839. The house was a wedding gift from…

Tags:

McEachin.JPG
The McEachin-Little House is a square two-story structure with center end chimney and hip roof. A hall separates four rooms downstairs and the second story has the same plan.

Originally, there were 16 bracketed posts of wood, with banisters…

Tags:

Dearing Swaim.jpg
This home, originally known as the Alexander B. Dearing Mansion, was built between 1831 and 1842 by Alexander Dearing, who made his fortune in slaves and cotton in Mississippi before moving to Tuscaloosa. Although Dearing owned a plantation in…

Tags:

Wyman.jpg
A two-story wood frame house, built around 1905, the Wyman - Ashley House has a porch around two sides and utilizes the bay room both upstairs and down. The entrance is framed in a display of leaded glass ("Past Horizons," Tuscaloosa County…

Tags:

Hunters Chapel.jpg
Hunter's Chapel AME Zion Church was organized in 1866, the first black Methodist Church in Tuscaloosa. Its first house of worship was a rented building that stood where Bryant-Denny Stadium now stands. The first structure built by the church was…

Tags:

Anchor club.jpg
According to "Past Horizons," published by the Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society in 1978, the history of this structure is uncertain, but it was known to have been built in 1875 as a home and has changed hands several times over the…

Tags:

Searcy House.jpg
This photo shows the Searcy House as it is being prepared for demolition in 2014.

The two-story Searcy House was built in 1904 by George Searcy, a Tuscaloosa banker and businessman. It was sold to Tuscaloosa County in 1925 for $35,000. The…

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2