Browse Items (2455 total)

Druid.jpg
The original Druid City Hospital opened Mar. 28, 1923, on the University of Alabama campus. Prior to that time, Tuscaloosa had had a number of privately owned and managed hospitals. The movement for this new hospital began in 1919 when a group of…

Greensboro.jpg
A photograph of Greensboro Avenue looking south from 7th Street. The First Baptist Church can be seen on the left and the First Methodist Church on the right.

Woods.jpg
Woods Hall, built between 1867 and 1868, was named Alva Woods Hall in 1884 in honor of UA's first president and was the first building constructed after the Civil War. Prior to 1884 it was just called the "barracks". It was first used as dorm for…

kappa sigma.jpg
A photograph of the Kappa Sigma fraternity house in 1928. The Beta Chapter of Kappa Sigma was organized at the University of Alabama in 1867.

This photograph was in an album lacking identification. The identity of Edward is unknown.

masonic Hall2.jpg
A photograph of the Prince-Thomas house built in 1855 that was the meeting place for the University Masonic Club during the early 20th century.

Information from the book Tuscaloosa by Amalia K. Amaki and Katherine R. Mauter published as part of…

Presbyterian Church.jpg
The First Presbyterian Church of Eutaw, Ala., was founded in 1824 as the Mesopotamia Presbyterian Church, in the small village of Mesopotamia, a mile west of what is now Eutaw. In the 1840s, the congregation decided to move to the bustling hub of…

Commerce.jpg
A photograph of the Commerce Building taken in 1928 shortly after it was built. The building was named Bidgood Hall in 1949. Lee Bidgood was the dean of the College of Commerce and Business Administration when it was created in 1919.

gym.jpg
Little Hall is named for Livingston native William “Bill” Gray Little (1873-1938), a transfer student who came to The University of Alabama in 1892 and became the father of Alabama football. When he arrived on campus, Little began to teach students…

law.jpg
A photograph of the law building on the University of Alabama campus taken in 1928. The law school was established in the late 1870s.

Medical.jpg
Nott Hall was constructed in 1922 to house the medical school which offered a 2-year program. It was named after Dr. Josiah Nott who founded the first medical school in Mobile in 1859. When this program ended the school was moved to the University…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2