Browse Items (120 total)

  • Collection: Houses

battle-friedman-c1905_scaled_38d0c16844[1].jpg
The postcard states "A Typical Southern Home, The B. Friedman Residence"

The Battle-Friedman House was built about 1835 by Alfred Battle, a North Carolina native who had come to Tuscaloosa in 1821, and his wife, Millicent. A wealthy planter,…

Tags:

5df70de2b645de82e7374616ece3fb53.jpg
The kitchen of the Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion during the time the J.P. Burchfields owned the house.

The house was purchased in 1945 by J. P. Burchfield, Jr. and Nell M. Burchfield. At that time the house was completely renovated with…

maxwell10_2229f85536.jpg
Originally the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles N.Maxwell, constructed in 1911 on the corner of then-unpaved 7th Street and 21st Avenue. The house had entrances on both streets.


Maxwell was a local grocer and served as clerk in the probate office…

searcy-house-post-carda_f704fa9824.jpg
The two-story Searcy House was built in 1904 by George Searcy, a Tuscaloosa banker and businessman. It was sold to Tuscaloosa County in 1925 for $35,000. The building was used for both a public library and the administrative offices of the Tuscaloosa…

drish-house2a_ee1428b406[2].jpg
This historic house was built in 1837 by Dr. John R. Drish, a prominent early settler, as the focal point for a plantation that bordered the city limits of Tuscaloosa. It once stood in the center of a 350 acre plantation. William Nichols, the…

drish-house-circa-1907a_161d30c39e.jpg
This historic house was built in 1837 by Dr. John R. Drish, a prominent early settler, as the focal point for a plantation that bordered the city limits of Tuscaloosa. It once stood in the center of a 350 acre plantation. William Nichols, the…

Searcy House.jpg
The Minor-Searcy-Owens House was originally built in 1826 by Judge Henry Minor. Judge Minor was a member of the Alabama Supreme Court as well as a member of first University of Alabama Board of Trustees.

In 1857 the house was sold to Ann Sorsby…

Monnish-Nicol House.jpg
The house, an excellent copy of antebellum architecture, was built in 1904 by Frederick W. Monnish. The house was built with the finest first grade pine lumber from long-leaf pine as Monnish owned a saw mill at the time it was built.

In 1959, the…

Collier-Cunningham House.jpg
This home sits at the corner of Paul W. Bryant Drive and Queen City Avenue in Tuscaloosa and was built in the first years of the 20th century, circa 1906.

According to "Past Horizons," published by the Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society in…

guild-verner-house_d948ac0dd0.jpg
Built about 1822 by Dr. James Guild, the house was the first brick residence in the city. Guild was a trustee of the University of Alabama and the Alabama Insane (now Bryce) Hospital, a member of the state legislature, and a practicing…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2