Browse Items (120 total)

  • Collection: Houses

masonic Hall2.jpg
A photograph of the Prince-Thomas house built in 1855 that was the meeting place for the University Masonic Club during the early 20th century.

Information from the book Tuscaloosa by Amalia K. Amaki and Katherine R. Mauter published as part of…

Antebellum.jpg
A photograph of the University Club when it was the private home of Lebron and Minnie Deal.

The University Club, sometimes referred to as the "Governor's Mansion", was built in 1834 by Captain James Dearing who piloted the first steamboat from…

Masonic Hall.jpg
A photograph of the Masonic Club House in the snow storm of December 1929. The building is also known as the Prince-Thomas house built in 1855. It was the meeting place for the University Masonic Club during the early 20th century.

Information…

house.jpg
The house known as the Wallace-Ozment House was built on Greensboro Avenue in 1830 by Dr. John Wallace. The house was a raised cottage with the first floor of brick and the second of wood. In 1870, William Henry and Elizabeth Ann Jenkins Hays…

Deg house.jpg
In 1962, this landmark antebellum home on Greensboro Avenue was razed. The house, known as the deGraffenried House (or the Hester- deGraffenried House), was constructed in 1845 as a wedding gift.

Located at 1217 Greensboro Avenue on the northwest…

Unknown house 121816.jpg
The historic Kennedy House near the Bibb County Courthouse in Centreville, was built in 1837 as a stagecoach stop and hotel called the Eagle Tavern. Union officers took over the hotel during the Civil War and federal troops remained in the building…

Cochrane House.jpg
The Cochrane House and 20 acres of land on 15th Street in West Tuscaloosa were purchased as a new home for Stillman Institute in 1898. Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute, the name was changed in honor of its founder, Dr. Charles A. Stillman. It was…

courthouse site 001.jpg
This house, built in 1849 and demolished in 1907, was located on the site the Tuscaloosa County Court House that was completed in 1908. There was electricity at this time; see the pole in front of the house. However, the streets are still…

Tags:

Battle Friedman 001.jpg
The postcard is postmarked 1914 and the photo is identified as the grounds and home of Mrs. B. Friedman, Tuskaloosa, Ala. (Hand Colored)

The Battle-Friedman House was built about 1835 by Alfred Battle, a North Carolina native who had come to…

Tags:

Gaineswood from Ransom Center_1.jpg
This postcard was sent from Gaius Whitfield of Demopolis to Edwina Dakin of Columbus, Miss., on August 7, 1905, during their courtship. Dakin and Whitfield never married. Instead, Dakin married Cornelius Williams and the two became parents of two…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2