Browse Items (121 total)

  • Collection: Houses

Owen House at Christmas.jpg
Minor-Searcy-Owens House, 2606 8th Street, at Christmas time

The Minor-Searcy-Owens House was originally built in 1826 by Judge Henry Minor. Judge Minor was a member of the Alabama Supreme Court as well as a member of first University of Alabama…

Hannah Friedman Insurance Policy Shrunk.jpg
An insurance form taken out by Mrs. Hannah Friedman and Mrs. Carrie F. Winston for 1704-06 Dearing Place in Tuscaloosa. The insurance was with London and Lancashire Insurance Co.

Stringfellow House501.jpg
A young Marbury Smith stands in front of both his home on the right and the Stringfellow House on the left. Both homes were located on what is now Greensboro Avenue. The Stringfellow House would later become home to the YMCA.

Copy (3) of DSC00071.JPG
The Minor-Searcy-Owens House during the April 2004 Heritage Week.

The Minor-Searcy-Owens House was originally built in 1826 by Judge Henry Minor. Judge Minor was a member of the Alabama Supreme Court as well as a member of first University of…

Murphy Museum 001a.jpg
The Murphy-Collins House on Paul W. Bryant Drive and Lurleen Wallace Boulevard South is home to the Murphy African-American Museum. The museum houses a diverse collection of black memorabilia and is a testimony to the contributions and accomplishment…

PCV house.jpeg
This information is from the 1929 thesis of Syndia Keene Smith: "The old Penn-Crabb-Van Hoose home of Tuscaloosa is an excellent example of the Southern Colonial House. It is a large dwelling of refined simplicity and practical taste. Built around…

4bd531cf94971de5d43b9cc7f7465877.jpg
Built in 1870, this structure is the only house of the mansion class to be built in Tuscaloosa during Reconstruction and one of the only large houses built in the city in the three decades after the Civil War.

Exceptional in detailing and…

LEE HOME 2.JPG
This lovely restoration is an excellent example of turn-of-the-century architecture. The wood frame structure was converted into the law office for former State Representative Jimmy Lee. The high ceilings and original wainscoting around the bottom…

Tags:

Foster House 001.jpg
Sale of the Foster House, now known as the Foster-Cummings House, 1899.

This advertisement for the sale of what was then known as the Foster House was published in the Tuscaloosa Times - Trade Edition on Friday, May 12, 1899. The house is…

Home of Ellen Bryce 001 (386x400).jpg
Ellen Peter-Bryce began plans for this home in 1892, upon the death of her husband Dr. Peter Bryce, the first superintendent of what is now Bryce Hospital. The hospital was named for Peter Bryce upon his death. and Ellen Bryce changed her last name…

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2