Browse Items (121 total)

  • Collection: Houses

battle degrafen house.jpg
In 1962, this landmark antebellum home on Greensboro Avenue was razed. The house, known as the deGraffenried House (or the Hester- deGraffenried House), was constructed in 1845 as a wedding gift.

Located at 1217 Greensboro Avenue on the northwest…

Tags:

Cochrane Home.jpg
The Cochrane House and 20 acres of land on 15th Street in West Tuscaloosa were purchased as a new home for Stillman Institute in 1898. Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute, the name was changed in honor of its founder, Dr. Charles A. Stillman. It was…

monnish.jpg
The house, an excellent copy of antebellum architecture, was built in 1904 by Frederick W. Monnish. The house was built with the finest first grade pine lumber from long-leaf pine as Monnish owned a saw mill at the time it was built.

In 1959, the…

postcard.jpg
This postcard is titled "The Oaks".
The house, an excellent copy of antebellum architecture, was built in 1904 by Frederick W. Monnish. The house was built with the finest first grade pine lumber from long-leaf pine as Monnish owned a saw mill at…

Stillman Campus.jpg
The William C. Cochrane House and 20 acres of land on 15th Street in West Tuscaloosa were purchased as a new home for Stillman Institute in 1898. Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute, the name was changed in honor of its founder, Dr. Charles A. Stillman.…

Searcy House 1870.jpg
The Minor-Searcy-Owens House was originally built in 1826 by Judge Henry Minor. Judge Minor was a member of the Alabama Supreme Court as well as a member of first University of Alabama Board of Trustees.

In 1857 the house was sold to Ann Sorsby…

House.jpg
This early photo shows the Drish House in Tuscaloosa, AL.

This historic house was built in 1837 by Dr. John R. Drish, a prominent early settler, as the focal point for a plantation that bordered the city limits of Tuscaloosa. It once stood in the…

709 Queen City Ave.jpg
Built in 1840 by Dr. James Somerville, the Somerville-Hale House, 709 Queen City Avenue, was built on property purchased from Samuel Strudwick, an ancestor of Julia Tutwiler's. The small Strudwick home was razed, although materials salvaged were…

Rosenau House.JPG
The Rosenau House was located at 919 Greensboro Avenue where District Lofts Apartments are standing in 2017; it was built in 1832 and razed in 1954.

The house was built by Mr. and Mrs. Simeon Eddins and had 14 immense columns extending from the…

Buck House.jpg
The Old Buck Boarding House, located at 1816 Broad Street (now University Boulevard) just west of Queen City Avenue, was built around 1820. Ownership of the house changed many times over the years, but the Buck family owned it for many years. Records…

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2