Browse Items (116 total)

  • Collection: Houses

Browne Randell House-h.jpg
This simple, one-story Gothic style house was built in the 1870s when Alabama was still under a Reconstruction government and attempting to overcome the aftermath of the Civil War. It was the first new structure built in Tuscaloosa after the…

Tags:

Home of Ellen Bryce 001 (386x400).jpg
Ellen Peter-Bryce began plans for this home in 1892, upon the death of her husband Dr. Peter Bryce, the first superintendent of what is now Bryce Hospital. The hospital was named for Peter Bryce upon his death. and Ellen Bryce changed her last name…

Tags:

Buck House.jpg
The Old Buck Boarding House, located at 1816 Broad Street (now University Avenue) just west of Queen City Avenue, was built around 1820. Ownership of the house changed many times over the years, but the Buck family owned it for many years. Records…

Tags:

Carson House-h1.jpg
This house, formerly known as the Carson-Mayfield-Sutley House, is located at 610 36th Avenue and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Described in "Past Horizons," Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society, 1978:

The house has an…

Cochran House 001.jpg
The Cochrane House and 20 acres of land on 15th Street in West Tuscaloosa were purchased as a new home for Stillman Institute in 1898. Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute, the name was changed in honor of its founder, Dr. Charles A. Stillman. It was…

Cochrane House.jpg
The Cochrane House and 20 acres of land on 15th Street in West Tuscaloosa were purchased as a new home for Stillman Institute in 1898. Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute, the name was changed in honor of its founder, Dr. Charles A. Stillman. It was…

Cochrane Home.jpg
The Cochrane House and 20 acres of land on 15th Street in West Tuscaloosa were purchased as a new home for Stillman Institute in 1898. Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute, the name was changed in honor of its founder, Dr. Charles A. Stillman. It was…

Stillman Campus.jpg
The William C. Cochrane House and 20 acres of land on 15th Street in West Tuscaloosa were purchased as a new home for Stillman Institute in 1898. Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute, the name was changed in honor of its founder, Dr. Charles A. Stillman.…

ec63d31ba75d84ee365c93d46329d12e[1].jpg
The original portion of the Collier-Boone house was built in 1825 by James Walker. Henry W. Collier purchased the house in 1826 and it became his longtime home. Collier had a law practice in Tuscaloosa, became chief justice of the Alabama Supreme…

Collier-Cunningham House.jpg
This home sits at the corner of Paul W. Bryant Drive and Queen City Avenue in Tuscaloosa and was built in the first years of the 20th century, circa 1906.

According to "Past Horizons," published by the Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society in…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2