Browse Items (110 total)

  • Collection: Government - Buildings, People and Services

armory.JPG
The City of Tuscaloosa unveiled a historical marker at the site of the old Fort W.W. Brandon Armory at Fire Station No. 2 on Paul W. Bryant Drive on June 12, 2004.

The marker reads:

The Tuscaloosa Armory was located on this site from 1938 to…

Collins.jpg
Ernest W. "Rainy" Collins (1911 - 2004) was mayor of Tuscaloosa from 1976-1981., elected from a field of 20 candidates after the death of Mayor C. Snow Hinton in office.

Collins' was unopposed in 1977 and was re-elected for a full term, which was…

63.jpg
This view is of the front steps.

A U.S. Post Office and Federal Court Building was constructed on Broad Street (now University Boulevard) at the corner of 22nd Street beginning in 1908. It was designed by architect James R. Taylor and was…

64.jpg
This view is looking toward the Northeast. Workers are pouring concrete forms and there is another worker surveying the site.

A U.S. Post Office and Federal Court Building was constructed on Broad Street (now University Boulevard) at the corner of…

65.jpg
This view is a detail of concrete forms being poured and someone surveying the site.

A U.S. Post Office and Federal Court Building was constructed on Broad Street (now University Boulevard) at the corner of 22nd Street beginning in 1908. It was…

66.jpg
This view is looking toward the Northeast.

A U.S. Post Office and Federal Court Building was constructed on Broad Street (now University Boulevard) at the corner of 22nd Street beginning in 1908. It was designed by architect James R. Taylor and…

68.jpg
This is a detail view of what would later become the foundations and basement. One would be looking to the Northeast.

A U.S. Post Office and Federal Court Building was constructed on Broad Street (now University Boulevard) at the corner of 22nd…

69.jpg
This view is looking toward the front steps on Broad Street (now University Boulevard).

A U.S. Post Office and Federal Court Building was constructed on Broad Street (now University Boulevard) at the corner of 22nd Street beginning in 1908. It…

938bd893b80af6d8cd2aba905c4acf6b.jpg
This view is looking toward the Northwest from the 22nd Street front lobby entrance.

A U.S. Post Office and Federal Court Building was constructed on Broad Street (now University Boulevard) at the corner of 22nd Street beginning in 1908. It was…

fc49bfbc64f54cd72060ec23e9550ac7.jpg
The first Tuscaloosa City Council in 1985 after the city changed from a commission form of government. Back row, L-R are John England, Tommy Dockery, Jerry Plott, Charles Steele, Ed Montgomery, and Sammy Watson. Front row, L-R are Al DuPont and Bill…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2