Browse Items (15 total)

  • Collection: Our Communities

990471a_59cc5a8fb7.jpg
The man in the doorway is Green Bankhead, post master and brother of Sen. John Hollis Bankhead. The man next to him, leaning against the building is Clyde Oldshue.

old17a_10d9ea8e5a.jpg
Rural reformers developed tomato clubs for girls in the early 1900s. The club got girls interested in home economics which would benefit them when they became rural mothers. Keeping girls up to date with the latest advances relating to the home…

cabaniss-grocery.jpg
Cabaniss Grocery store, constructed of native stone, stood at the corner of Hwy. 43 North and Northside Road in northern Tuscaloosa County. Visiting out front are John Manley Cabiniss, George Nelson, Oscar Cabaniss, Virgil Spencer, Buck Savage and…

buhl.jpg
This station belonged to O.M. Davis, who lived behind the station. The pump on the left was for oil. A quart glass container was provided; the customer pumped out a quart and poured it into his car. The gas pump is in the middle. On the right is a…

samantha.JPG
Two horse and buggies stand in front of the Richard R. Thomson home on Tierce Patton Road in Samantha. Mr. Thomson owned land on both sides of the river. He had five sons and a daughter. Hurdis Thomson (married to Nannie Mae Kirk), James Robert…

Gordo Hotel.jpg
The Willams Hotel was located on Main Street in Gordo, Alabama.

Settlement of the town of Gordo, located on U.S. Hwy 82, 23 miles west of Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in east-central Pickens County, began before 1847. A web site, www.postalhistory.com,…

mural.jpg
The Carrollton, Alabama, Post Office and Agriculture Building was built in 1940 and is still in use as the post office today. It has a mural entitled “Farm Scene with Senator Bankhead” painted in 1943 by Stuart R. Purser. Senator William B. Bankhead…

Echola School.jpg
The Echola School was located at the intersection of Echola and Upper Columbus Roads in the community of Echola in northwest Tuscaloosa County, Alabama..

The community was settled about 1828 and was a prosperous farming area before the Civil War.…

Ralph Post Office2.jpg
Men meet at the Ralph Post Office to play dominoes around 1938.

Ralph is an unincorporated community in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, located near U.S. Route 11 and U.S. Route 43, 16.4 miles southwest of Tuscaloosa. Ralph has a post office with ZIP…

jail.jpg
The building was built in 1914 by Gordo's first town council to house Mayor Benjamin Garrison's office, city courtroom and jail. It was used as city hall and jail until 1949. Records show it to be the oldest remaining brick structure in Gordo. It was…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2