Browse Items (17 total)

  • Collection: Art, Music and Theatre

Bama Theatre Employees 1938.JPG
These are the first employees for the new Bama Theatre, dedicated in 1938. Seated left to right, Amanda King, Corrine Dean and Mrs. John Newell. Standing are Alvin Davidson, C. Britt Turner, Robert Moses, Hampton Bush, Harlan Meredith, John Caldwell,…

16-bama-inside-picturea_de6e8e4234.jpg
This is the interior of the Bama Theatre, designed in 1938 by architect D.O. Whilldon. "The house of the theatre is actually a reproduction of the courtyard of the Davanzati Palace of Florence, Italy with the orchestra and balcony sections decorated…

90efa5f4f291823cb94e2ded15522c28.jpg
The marquee of the Bama Theatre as it looked in 1976.

The previous city hall on this same site came down in 1936, and a new city hall was built under the Public Works Administration for a cost of $200,000. The building housed city offices and…

1935_corolla_062.jpg
Advertisement for the three theatres that used to grace the streets of downtown Tuscaloosa, the Bama (later renamed Druid), Ritz, and Diamond theatres. This advertisement was scanned from a 1935 copy of The Corolla, the University of Alabama…

1919_corolla_019.jpg
Advertisement for the Belvedere and Diamond Theatres found in the 1919 Corolla, the University of Alabama yearbook. "High Class Motion Pictures, Programs changed each day."

The Corolla, v. 26, 1919

Diamond.jpg
The Diamond Theater opened in 1946 at 621 23rd Avenue in Tuscaloosa and closed in 1967. The building accommodated 500 and was fitted with the most modern cinema equipment, attractively decorated and completely fireproof. The theater and Diamond Drugs…

Druid City Theater412.jpg
This Druid Theater advertising actors Ann Margaret, and Dick Van Dyke starring in the movie "Bye Bye Birdie" was the second Druid Theater, It built in the early '60's and was located on University Blvd across from the new Embassy Suites, now a…

druid.jpg
The Druid Theater was located by the First National Bank Building (now the PNC Building) on University Boulevard. The theater was formerly the Bama Theatre until the new theater was built on Greensboro Avenue at Sixth Street in 1938. Druid Theater…

earlydruidcity_e7a7cbb36f.jpg
A marching band prepares to play for the people of Tuscaloosa before roads were paved. Paving of main roads began around 1913.

elks-home-auditorium-c-19a_bd6487a0b2.jpg
The Elks Home and Auditorium was built shortly after the organization of Elks Lodge No. 393 on January 7th, 1898. The auditorium was Tuscaloosa’s second opera house. It was located on the southeast corner of 6th Street and 22nd Avenue. In the 1920s…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2