Browse Items (17 total)

  • Collection: Art, Music and Theatre

b-17a_b9d6616aac[1].jpg
Singers are J.R. Kennedy Jr. and Edwin C. Perkins with two unidentified individuals pretending to serenade.

1919_corolla_019.jpg
Advertisement for the Belvedere and Diamond Theatres found in the 1919 Corolla, the University of Alabama yearbook. "High Class Motion Pictures, Programs changed each day."

The Corolla, v. 26, 1919

omeka-net-2539-archive-fullsize-fa12beacf57d48f31e0a34a568195597 (250x300).jpg
The Old Bama Theatre was located on the north side of Broad Street (now University Boulevard) in Tuscaloosa, next to what was then the First National Bank Building. The theater showed vaudeville acts and motion pictures. On the marquee, Deloris…

Tags:

1935_corolla_062.jpg
Advertisement for the three theatres that used to grace the streets of downtown Tuscaloosa, the Bama (later renamed Druid), Ritz, and Diamond theatres. This advertisement was scanned from a 1935 copy of The Corolla, the University of Alabama…

bama-theater-grand-opening-4-12-1938-_86b9a03698.jpg
The previous city hall on this same site came down in 1936, and a new city hall was built under the Public Works Administration for a cost of $200,000. The building housed city offices and meeting rooms, an auditorium/movie theater, a barbershop, and…

Bama Theatre Employees 1938.JPG
These are the first employees for the new Bama Theatre, dedicated in 1938. Seated left to right, Amanda King, Corrine Dean and Mrs. John Newell. Standing are Alvin Davidson, C. Britt Turner, Robert Moses, Hampton Bush, Harlan Meredith, John Caldwell,…

16-bama-inside-picturea_de6e8e4234.jpg
This is the interior of the Bama Theatre, designed in 1938 by architect D.O. Whilldon. "The house of the theatre is actually a reproduction of the courtyard of the Davanzati Palace of Florence, Italy with the orchestra and balcony sections decorated…

90efa5f4f291823cb94e2ded15522c28.jpg
The marquee of the Bama Theatre as it looked in 1976.

The previous city hall on this same site came down in 1936, and a new city hall was built under the Public Works Administration for a cost of $200,000. The building housed city offices and…

Diamond.jpg
The Diamond Theater opened in 1946 at 621 23rd Avenue in Tuscaloosa and closed in 1967. The building accommodated 500 and was fitted with the most modern cinema equipment, attractively decorated and completely fireproof. The theater and Diamond Drugs…

druid.jpg
The Druid Theater was located by the First National Bank Building (now the PNC Building) on University Boulevard. The theater was formerly the Bama Theatre until the new theater was built on Greensboro Avenue at Sixth Street in 1938. Druid Theater…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2