Browse Items (144 total)

  • Collection: University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa

Gorgas.jpg
A photo of the Amelia Gorgas Library taken after a snow storm in December 1929. The library was named after Amelia Gorgas, one of the first librarians, after the new building opened in 1925. The building which also housed administrative offices was…

Denny Chimes.jpg
Denny Chimes, on the Quad at the University of Alabama, was built in 1929 to honor longtime University of Alabama President George H. Denny, who served as the president from 1911-1936 and then briefly in 1942.

Money was raised by students to build…

Mound.jpg
Although this photograph is labeled Indian Mound, it is actually of the Mound on the Quad of the University of Alabama. The Mound was created from the remains of the buildings burned and destroyed during the Civil War on April 5, 1865. The Mound is…

Chi Phi.jpg
A photograph of Chi Phi fraternity at the University of Alabama after a 1929 snow storm. The Tau chapter of the Chi Phi fraternity was organized in 1920.

Tutwiler.jpg
A photograph of the Julia Tutwiler dormitory which was situated in the location of the current Rose Administration Building. The current Tutwiler dormitory was constructed between 1967 and 1968. The Rose Administration Building was completed in…

Presidents mansion.jpg
When Reverend Basil Manly accepted the post as president in 1838, the Board of Trustees appointed a committee to gather the required funds for a presidential home. As the original design plans for the campus had been taken by the architect when he…

gymnasium.jpg
A Photograph of Little Hall taken after a snow storm.
Little Hall was named for Livingston native William “Bill” Gray Little (1873-1938), a transfer student who came to The University of Alabama in 1892 and became the father of Alabama football.…

Gorgas Library.jpg
A photo of the Amelia Gorgas Library in December 1928. The library was named after Amelia Gorgas, one of the first librarians, after the new building opened in 1925. The building which also housed administrative offices was built with funds from the…

Post office.jpg
The post office, supply store and cafeteria building was built on University Boulevard in 1925 with funds from the Million Dollar Campaign. During that time, it housed a soda fountain, a favorite campus gathering place. After World War II the third…

Chemistry Building.jpg
A photograph of Lloyd Hall, the home of the Chemistry Department. Lloyd Hall was built in 1927 for the expanding Chemistry Department. It was named in honor of Stewart J. Lloyd who was the first Dean of the School of Chemistry, Metallurgy, and…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2