Browse Items (114 total)

  • Collection: Community Organizations

Barnes Y group 2.jpg
The need for a branch of the YMCA to serve the black community was expressed in 1953. A membership drive was inaugurated with a “Kick-off” dinner in the auditorium of Industrial High School on January 2, 1953. A goal of 500 members was established…

Masonic.jpg
This photograph is of the Masonic Building, corner of 32nd Avenue and 18th Street in Tuscaloosa. The first floor of the Masonic building was leased for $50 per month from July 1, 1954 to June 30, 1955, for the Benjamin Barnes Branch of the YMCA to…

Barnes Y.jpg
In 1960 the funds necessary to construct a new facility for the Barnes Branch were available. In January, 1961 the branch moved into its new building that was completely paid for at that time. The Warner Foundation gave $42,000 towards the cost of…

Warners 2.jpg
In December, 1964, a special meeting of the YMCA Board of Trustees was held to honor Mr. and Mrs. Herbert D. Warner for their support of the YMCA. The Warners, either personally or through the David Warner Foundation, contributed about $600,000 to…

Y house.jpg
This house, called the Hurricane House, was built in 1846 in Bibb County. It was moved to the banks of Little Hurricane Creek and reconstructed by Bryon Arnold about 1940. Arnold was a professor of music at the University of Alabama from 1938 to…

Lions Den.jpg
In 1951, the Warner Family gave the YMCA a tract of land including 15 acres on Keen Mill Road. The property is called Y’s Acres, and is used in the summer as a day camp area.

The Lions Den is a sleeping cabin on the property.

Kiwanis Dinning Hall.jpg
In 1951, the Warner Family gave the YMCA a tract of land including 15 acres on Keen Mill Road. The property is called Y’s Acres, and is used in the summer as a day camp area.

The Kiwanis Lodge is used as a dinning hall.

Barnes site.jpg
In July 1955, the Christ Lutheran Church property was purchased for the site of a Benjamin Barnes Branch YMCA building for $16,500 including 2 buildings and fence. The property known as the Alston Home was located between 18th and 19th streets facing…

Warners portraits.jpg
Herbert David Warner (left) and Frank Moody at the unveiling of color portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Warner at the Central Building of the YMCA on November 1, 1967.

Color portraits of the couple by Alphaeus Philemon Cole, 1876-1988, a noted New York…

chapel.jpg
In 1951, the Warner Family gave the YMCA a tract of land including 15 acres on Keen Mill Road. The property is called Y’s Acres, and used in the summer as a day camp area.

In 1990 the Harlan Cross Meredith Open Air Chapel was dedicated and a…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2