Browse Items (112 total)

  • Collection: Community Organizations

Tuscaloosa Chamber NASA Group484.jpg
Chamber of Commerce Executive Vice-President Cliff Davenport, Returning Chamber of Commerce Vice-President Walter Wilson, Congressman Carl Elliott, Chairman of the U.S. House Select Committee on Government Research, NASA Administrator James E. Webb,…

YMCA #1.JPG
In the spring of 1947 a meeting of some 200 representatives from civic clubs, churches, organizations, and interested citizens was held in the First Methodist Church to consider the proposal of the Religious Council Youth Committee. This group of…

Y constitution.jpg
The Tuscaloosa YMCA was first organized in the 1870's but didn't have a continuous existence although it was revived in 1886 and again in the 1890's.

The cover page of the constitution printed in 1871 is shown above. The document includes this…

YMCA723.jpg
The YMCA was reorganized in 1903 and a campaign was begun to raise money for a building under the leadership of B. A. Small, General Director, and officers W.G. Somerville and T.M. Leatherwood. A lot at 2014 Broad Street (now University Boulevard)…

Y cornerstone.jpg
The YMCA was reorganized in 1903 and a campaign was begun to raise money for a building under the leadership of B. A. Small, General Director, and officers W.G. Somerville and T.M. Leatherwood. A lot at 2014 Broad Street (now University Boulevard)…

Cornerstone Y.jpg
The men in this photograph documenting laying the cornerstone of the new central YMCA building are from left to right: Hugo Friedman, J. Oviatt Bowers, Ernest Williams, Harlan Meredith, Buford Boone, George LeMaistre.

In 1955, Victor Hugo…

Y construction.jpg
The YMCA Central Building was constructed in 1958 by the Daniel Construction Company. The architects were Wilmot C. Douglas and Carl M. Mosely, Jr., Architects Associated.

The building fronted on 10th Avenue (now Paul Bryant Drive) on property…

Central Y.jpg
The new building was formally opened and dedicated on Sunday, April 5, 1959.

There were two entrances on 10th Street (now Bryant Drive), one to the adult lobby and one to the teenage lobby. The building included a swimming pool, gymnasium, shower…

Brochure Y 2.jpg
The new Central YMCA Building on 10th street was formally opened and dedicated on Sunday, April 5, 1959 at 3 PM.

In addition to the program of dedication the brochure included the YMCA officers, staff, committees and mission statement:

The…

Y brochure 3.jpg
The Board of Trustees, Staff, New Building Committee, New Building Furnishings Committee, Past Presidents and General Secretaries of the YMCA as listed in the dedication brochure on April 5, 1959.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2