Browse Items (106 total)

  • Collection: Community Organizations

TPL 4.tif
An article in the Tuscaloosa News, February 12, 1980, announcing the retirement of Bessie Sasser as director of the Tuscaloosa Public Library. Additional information is provided concerning financial support of the library system.

Y house.jpg
This house, called the Hurricane House, was built in 1846 in Bibb County. It was moved to the banks of Little Hurricane Creek and reconstructed by Bryon Arnold about 1940. Arnold was a professor of music at the University of Alabama from 1938 to…

Lions Den.jpg
In 1951, the Warner Family gave the YMCA a tract of land including 15 acres on Keen Mill Road. The property is called Y’s Acres, and is used in the summer as a day camp area.

The Lions Den is a sleeping cabin on the property.

Kiwanis Dinning Hall.jpg
In 1951, the Warner Family gave the YMCA a tract of land including 15 acres on Keen Mill Road. The property is called Y’s Acres, and is used in the summer as a day camp area.

The Kiwanis Lodge is used as a dinning hall.

Library Dream at times is a nightmare 2-4-79.jpg
An account of the construction of the Tuscaloosa Public Library on River Road (now Jack Warner Parkway).

Bookmobile.jpg
The old bookmobile serves as an annex to the main building. Mrs. Martha Williams, librarian for the blind and physically handicapped, arranges and checks out the talking books from this stationary mobile unit. There is no room in the main building…

chapel.jpg
In 1951, the Warner Family gave the YMCA a tract of land including 15 acres on Keen Mill Road. The property is called Y’s Acres, and used in the summer as a day camp area.

In 1990 the Harlan Cross Meredith Open Air Chapel was dedicated and a…

Image.jpg
This photo shows the Tuscaloosa Public Library when it was located in the house now known as the Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion. In 1955, the house then owned by the Burchfields was purchased by the YMCA for $70,000. In a prearranged agreement, it…

Lou Pou Article.jpg
Article in the Tuscaloosa News on March 10, 1931, about the early days of the Tuscaloosa Public Library

New Library At Half-Way Mark 8-13-78 pg1.jpg
Construction photos of the new Tuscaloosa Public Library on River Road. Pictured are librarians Bessie Sasser and Martha Williams and Ruth Waldrop along with architect Charles Ralston.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2