Browse Items (117 total)

  • Collection: Community Organizations

Bookmobile 3.tif
Photograph and article on the new bookmobile which the Tuscaloosa Civitan Club helped get for the Tuscaloosa Public Library.

Northport 1.tif
Photograph showing the volunteers working on a branch library to be located in the Northport Community Center.

The caption states:
BRANCH LIBRARY IN NORTHPORT - Work was begun last night on a branch library of the Tuscaloosa County Library which…

Northport 2.tif
Photograph and article on the opening of a branch library in Northport.

Friedman Library Opening Article 6-15-58.jpg
Articles and photos describing the move of the Tuscaloosa Public Library to the Jemison-Van de Graaf Home, 1305 Greensboro Avenue.

Children.jpg
Photos of two rooms in the Friedman Library, 1305 Greensboro Avenue (now called the Jemison - Van de Graff Mansion), taken the day before the facility was open to the public on Monday, June 16, 1958.

In 1955, the ante-bellum house had been…

Library.jpg
A photo taken at the dedication of the Friedman Library on Sunday afternoon, October 19, 1958.

The program was opened and closed by Mrs. Edwin Rosenfield, chairman of the library board. Among those who spoke were Mr. Victor Hugo Friedman, Judge…

Music.jpg
A photo of the music room in the Friedman Library, 1305 Greensboro Avenue. This was a service made possible in the larger building first occupied in June 1958.

In 1955, the ante-bellum house at 1305 Greensboro Avenue was purchased by the YMCA for…

Image.jpg
This photo shows the Tuscaloosa Public Library when it was located in the house now known as the Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion. In 1955, the house then owned by the Burchfields was purchased by the YMCA for $70,000. In a prearranged agreement, it…

Weaver1.tif
The new branch of the library built on 18th Street between 29th and 30th avenues was inspected and accepted by the City of Tuscaloosa. The commissioners also okayed $5641.67 for furnishings which would be purchased from four local firms, at prices…

Weaver3.tif
The dedicatory program for the Weaver Branch Library, Sunday, February 12, 1961, 3:00 p.m.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2