Browse Items (59 total)

  • Collection: Education

THS 001.jpg
This is the Tuscaloosa High School building as it appeared in 1916 in the Tuscaloosa High School yearbook, "Black Warrior." The building, located on 21st Avenue, was designed by architect D.O. Whilldin who designed many iconic buildings in…

Emma Henderson.jpg
Emma Henderson was a pioneer of education in Tuscaloosa and the state of Alabama.

Henderson moved from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa in 1947 to teach in the Tuscaloosa City Schools. In addition to teaching high school, she taught adults who wanted to…

University Place 001.jpg
Mrs. Margaret Reynolds Robertson stands to the left of her first grade class of 1961-62 at University Place Elementary School.

Row 1: Rodney Mills, Richard Montgomery, Glenn Britt, Horace Gene Hammond, Mike Jones, Vickie Rushing, Mike Wilson,…

Panoramic view of Stillman Institute.jpg
"Stillman Institute (Colored) - Tuscaloosa."

This panoramic view shows the view along the road that is now Stillman Boulevard.

Liston Hall.jpg
Liston Hall was the first building erected on the site of the present campus of Stillman College. It was built one or two years after the land was purchased by the school in 1898 and served as the first dormitory and chapel for students. The building…

Verner 001 (256x300).jpg
Clara L. Verner dedicated her life to teaching and community work.

Beginning in 1901, she taught in the Tuscaloosa public schools for 51 years. She was principal of Tuscaloosa High School for 27 of those years and spent 7 years as director of…

Holt Senior Boys 001.jpg
In 1943 all Holt High School senior boys were drafted or volunteered for military service in World War II. All survived the conflict and some made the military a career.

Front row: John Allen, Babe Weller, Eugene McDaniel, Knox Boltler, Cutie…

school.jpg
The East End Elementary School was built in 1962 in a predominately black residential area near the Jaycee Park in Alberta. In 1969, the court ordered the closing of the all-black school. Most of its students transferred to Alberta Elementary…

Gorgas Schoola.JPG
Named after General William Gorgas, Gorgas Elementary School was located in northern Tuscaloosa County, on land donated by Isaac Morgan Boone. It was the first graded school in rural Tuscaloosa County (succeeded one-room schoolhouses). It later…

Ind Class of 46' - 2.jpg
Industrial High School for black students was located on 15th Street at the site of the present Central Elementary School.
The graduating class of 1946 included:
Front row: Teacher Effie Mathews, unknown, Thomas Brown, Mildred Abercrombie, Oscar…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2