Browse Items (59 total)

  • Collection: Education

dedication_12f725b527[1].jpg
Dedication of the gymnasium of Tuscaloosa County High School to Adrian McKinzey. Left-to-Right: Dr. Charles Sprayberry, Coach Adrian McKinzey, Earl Hydrick, Mrs. McKinzey, and James Barnett.

drivers-eda_a09eb574ae.jpg
Coach Adrian McKinzey teaches driver education to students Barbara Bonner Shields and Beatrice Rice Acker at Tuscaloosa County High School.

echola-schoola_48adf50862.jpg
The Echola School in the west Tuscaloosa County community of Echola was a five room schoolhouse built in 1921. Although the documentation is fragmentary, this building was probably designed by D. O. Whilldin as part of a building program undertaken…

dfb8b36921955230601ae902bdc5a17b.jpg
Col. W. D. Fonville, left, with his son, Marion Yancy Fonville, and Marion's friend, thought to be Hermione Charlotte Bliss. Col. Fonville had an active career in academics. In 1916, Fonville, formerly president of the Missouri Military Academy…

schoolboard1895_02368b858f.jpg
Members of the first board of education for the City of Tuscaloosa. Pictured from left to right are: E. N. C. Snow, Vice President; Carlton Mitchell, Superintendent; E. S. Chisholm; Festus Fitts, Secretary-Treasurer; W. C. Jemison (Mayor), President;…

JrSrProm.jpg
Juniors and seniors at Industrial High School in Tuscaloosa enjoy their prom in 1946. Oscar Tucker is on the upper left of the photo. Others are unidentified.

stafford-school-1901-1907a_1bd21f8b45.jpg
This postcard of the Stafford School, the first public school in Tuscaloosa, says, "One of our graded public schools where 535 children (whites only) go to school daily." The school was located at 2209 9th Street in Tuscaloosa.

tuscaloosa-female-college-ca_21f9565584.jpg
In 1836 Baptists established the Alabama Female Atheneum which became the Tuscaloosa Female College in 1854. This building housed the woman's college for many years. Later it was a site of a school for boys.

dr-william-dansbya_09493f5084.jpg
Dr. W.N. Dansby was appointed to the Tuscaloosa City School Board in 1971 by then-Mayor Snow Hinton. Dansby walked into the line of fire when the school system was in the middle of desegregation, having been placed under Federal court order in…

druid-high.jpg
Students Kathy Willis and Jeffrey Martin stand under the Druid High School advertisement for the last edition of the school's yearbook. The all-black school closed in 1979 and became Central High School West. Later, the building was razed to make…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2