The Northport Branch had its beginnings in 1955 as a joint effort with the Northport Park and Recreation Board. It was located in one corner of the Community Center for several years. Mrs. T. A. Edgeworth, a member of the Tuscaloosa County High School faculty, served as branch librarian. In 1963 a 15-by-34-foot addition to the library was built by the Park Board which provided a quieter space and more room for books.
In 1968 it was moved to downtown Northport on the corner of Main Avenue and 5th Street. The City of Northport increased its appropriation to the library to include rent for the building. Mrs. Caroline Dickson served as the librarian at that time.
When the new Northport Civic Center opened at the intersection of U.S. Highways 82 and 43 in 1985, the library relocated to the Civic Center. Mrs. Judy Howington served as branch librarian in the late 1980s.
In the fall of 1998, faced with a significant financial shortfall, the Library Board voted to close its three branches including the one at the Northport Civic Center. Northport was unable and unwilling to increase its funding to match the requested amount and the branch was closed. Northport City Council continued to support the library as residents of Northport used the library located in Tuscaloosa when the Northport branch was closed.