Dedication of the Friedman Library, October 19, 1958

Library.jpg

Title

Dedication of the Friedman Library, October 19, 1958

Subject

Tuscaloosa Public Library
Public libraries
Friedman, Victor Hugo 1878-1965
Selden, Armistead Inge, Jr. 1921-1985

Description

A photo taken at the dedication of the Friedman Library on Sunday afternoon, October 19, 1958.

The program was opened and closed by Mrs. Edwin Rosenfield, chairman of the library board. Among those who spoke were Mr. Victor Hugo Friedman, Judge Chester Walker and the Mayor George Van Tassel. The principal speaker was Rep. Armistead Selden.

In 1955, the ante-bellum house at 1305 Greensboro Avenue was purchased by the YMCA for $70,000. In a prearranged agreement, it was then exchanged with Mr. Victor Hugo Friedman for the north half of the block containing the Battle-Friedman House. The YMCA used that property as the site for the new central YMCA building. Mr. Friedman gave the house to Tuscaloosa County for use as a public library. The library which moved from the Searcy House, 815 Greensboro Avenue, was then known as the Friedman Library to honor Mr. Friedman’s generosity.

Before moving to the Searcy House in 1926, the library was housed in the basement of the County Courthouse in 1921. Since its beginning with 400 books the library had grown to more than 40,000, with circulation now in excess of 300,000 per year.

At the time of the dedication of the Friedman library building, the library also supported the Weaver Branch for use by blacks which was located in the Benjamin Barnes Branch of the YMCA and a collection of books in Northport's Recreation Center.

Source

Tuscaloosa News

Publisher

Tuscaloosa News

Date

October 19, 1958

Contributor

Elizabeth Bradt (Description)

Type

Newspaper

Identifier

2428

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Text

At Library Dedication


Victor Hugo Friedman, a well-known Tuscaloosan who made the county library a gift of the ante-bellum home it now occupies at 1305 Greensboro Ave., is seen above at far left as he chatted with friends yesterday prior to dedication of the new quarters.  Rep. Armistead Selden (far right) was a principal speaker.  The women are (left to right) Miss Barbara Davis, head librarian, and Mrs. J. E. Price, a board member who presided over the ceremonies. (New staff photo)

Original Format

Newspaper

Social Bookmarking