University of Alabama Cemetery, 1969

UAcemetery.jpg

Title

University of Alabama Cemetery, 1969

Subject

Cemeteries

Description

The cemetery was formed when a student died in 1839 and was buried on campus. His family eventually has his body moved, but another student, William J. Crawford, who died of typhus fever on July 6, 1844, was buried in the same grave. President Manly also recorded the burial of two slaves in the cemetery - Jack, a slave belonging to the university, died of "bilious Pneumonia" and was buried there. The other was William or "Boysey," a seven-year-old boy Dr. Manly owned, who died of whooping cough on November 22, 1844. The cemetery was isolated on the northeastern edge of campus. Later, a portion of the burying ground became the property of the Pratt family. some members of the family were interred in the university cemetery. Four tombstones enclosed by the ornate iron fence all mark the graves of members of the Pratt family. In 2004, a marker was placed nearby to memorialize the unlocated graves of university student William Crawford and the slaves, William "Boysey" Brown and Jack Rudolph. The cemetery is located on Hackberry Lane. (Information from Mellown, The University of Alabama: A Guide to the Campus and its Architecture, 2013)

Source

Tuscaloosa News Archive

Publisher

The Tuscaloosa News

Date

1969

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)

Type

Photograph

Identifier

2346

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

8 inches by 10 inches