New Home for The Tuscaloosa News

news - Copy.jpg


New Home for The Tuscaloosa News




This drawing published April 8, 1917, shows a building that was to house The Tuscaloosa News. The building was designed by architect D.O. Whilldin for the owners Messers Persons and Claybaugh (sic). The building was to be built at the corner of Broad and Twenty-Second Street for a cost in excess of $12,000. The old Hippodrome was on the site at the time and was being demolished.


The Tuscaloosa News


Tuscaloosa News Archive


The Tuscaloosa News


April 8, 1917


Betty Slowe (Description)






Tuscaloosa (AL)


This picture, made from the architect's drawing, will give a fairly accurate idea of the exterior appearance of the new building on which construction will be started next week by Messrs. Persons and Clabaugh and which will house The Tuscaloosa News after August 1st.

The News will occupy both floors of this glass, concrete and steel building, and the interior arrangements have been specially planned with reference to the needs of this newspaper.

When installed in its new home The News will be the best equipped newspaper published in a city of this size in the south. The mechanical equipment of The News is already very far above the present requirements of the city, and in this modern and convenient home The News will stand ready to do an even greater work than at present for the upbuilding of the city of Tuscaloosa.

This newspaper plans to grow with the growing city of Tuscaloosa and if possible it will stay ahead of the city's growth. All the people of Tuscaloosa are invited to co-operate with The News to the end that a greater and better newspaper may be published in the new building.