Houses and homes
The Battle-deGraffenried House was built around 1835 for William Battle and his wife, Susannah. Unfortunately, the Battles fell victim to the recession of 1857 and had to move out of their home and in with William's parents, Alfred and Millicent Battle ( of the Battle-Friedman House). The two-story Battle-DeGraffenried House featured an intricate cast-iron railing on the front porch and a veranda, and originally stood just across Thirteenth Street from the Jemison-Van de Graff Mansion. It was razed in the 1960s and a motel was built on the site. The motel has since become apartments.
Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society
Betty Slowe (Description)
11 inches by 17 inches