Model School Class Photo, Teacher Belle Strickland

ModelSchool.jpeg
Fred Maxwell note.tiff

Title

Model School Class Photo, Teacher Belle Strickland

Subject

Education

Description

Teacher Belle Strickland is standing behind her model class.

Baptist affiliated Alabama Central Female College (formerly the State Capitol) is in the background. After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishing were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes. In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building for ninety nine years to the newly formed Baptist-affiliated Alabama Central Female College. At this time, a large brick four story dormitory was constructed at the west of the building. The building was used by the Alabama Central Female College until it was destroyed by fire on August 22, 1923 when a construction worker accidentally set it ablaze. He was soldering a piece of flashing while repairing the dome and the building caught fire. The historic building was totally destroyed by fire.

In the 1930's, the site was cleared for use as a park.

Source

Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society

Date

Circa 1900

Contributor

Lee Rawlinson (Description)

Type

Photograph
Letter

Identifier

2312

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Photograph
Note by Fred R. Maxwell, Jr on the reverse side of the photo

Physical Dimensions

10 inches x 10 inches