Kennedy-Foster House, 1842 25th Avenue, circa 1887

D P Kennedy House-h.jpg

Title

Kennedy-Foster House, 1842 25th Avenue, circa 1887

Subject

Homes and houses

Description

The D.P. Kennedy House as it appeared in 1887 (now called Kennedy-Foster House). Built in 1870, this structure is the only house of the mansion class to be built in Tuscaloosa during Reconstruction and one of the only large houses built in the city in the three decades after the Civil War.

Exceptional in detailing and craftsmanship, the Kennedy-Foster House is a masterpiece of Victorianism. The structure is the most significant example of architecture of that era, when money was scarce, and homes of this size were rare.

It has almost 5000 square feet, with very large entry hall and a beautiful hand-crafted staircase.

The house is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks.


Past Horizons, p.51

Creator

Union Furniture Company

Source

Union Furniture Company

Publisher

Union Furniture Company

Date

1999

Contributor

Tuscaloosa Public Library
Betty Slowe (Description)

Rights

Union Furniture Company

Type

Drawing

Identifier

1030

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Drawing