Tuscaloosa City Hall, 600 Greensboro Avenue, 1890

City Hall-h2.jpg

Title

Tuscaloosa City Hall, 600 Greensboro Avenue, 1890

Subject

City halls
Historic buildings

Description

The Tuscaloosa City Hall and market complex was constructed in 1889 and demolished in 1936. It was located on the corner of 6th Street and Greensboro Avenue at the present location of the Bama Theatre. The lower floors of the building housed a meat market, a newspaper office and other private businesses. Mayor Luther Davis owned and operated a pharmacy there. There was an entranceway from City Hall to Davis's shop, which was convenient for anyone wanting to see the mayor on city business. His soda fountain was the site of frequent political discussions and many city matters were settled there.

Under Mayor Davis' administration, the building was demolished and new City Hall offices were constructed next to the Bama Theatre in 1936 and then, in 1970, City Hall moved to the old post office location on University Boulevard where it is located today.

Creator

Union Furniture Company

Source

Union Furniture Company

Publisher

Union Furniture Company

Date

1999

Contributor

Betty Slowe (Description)
Tuscaloosa Public Library

Rights

Union Furniture Company

Type

Drawing

Identifier

1029

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Drawing

Physical Dimensions

8 1/2 inches x 11 inches