Browne-Randall House, 903 Greensboro Avenue, 1879 (Now at 2902 6th Street)

Browne Randell House-h.jpg

Title

Browne-Randall House, 903 Greensboro Avenue, 1879 (Now at 2902 6th Street)

Subject

Houses and homes

Description

This simple, one-story Gothic style house was built in the 1870s when Alabama was still under a Reconstruction government and attempting to overcome the aftermath of the Civil War. It was the first new structure built in Tuscaloosa after the war.

The house was located at 903 Greensboro Avenue at 9th Street. Built by Newbern Hobbs Browne, in the shape of a cross, the house faced the street and featured a deep bay window below the gable of the roof. This bay window has three windows, each with a raised paneled section below, Gothic molding around the sides, and a paneled cornice with supporting brackets. Porches extended on both sides, each decorated with millwork arches between the delicate columns. An interesting balustrade ties the columns together, and the porch is crowned by the bracketed, paneled cornice of the bay window.

A highly significant example of Victorian architecture, this cottage has been untouched by time for over a century and is a reflection of 19th century life.

The house was given to the Tuscaloosa County Historical Preservation Authority on Jan. 5, 1978. The structure had to be moved to make room for Central Bank. It was moved to 2902 6th Street near the Capitol School on land donated by the Pettus Randall family. It is used for offices and classrooms for the Capitol School.

The builder of the house, Newbern Hobbs Browne, was born in Georgia in 1824 and died in Tluscaloosa in 1891. He graduated from the University of Alabama in 1846 and entered law practice in Tuscaloosa.

From 1851-1853, he edited the Tuscaloosa Observer, a strong democratic newspaper.

In 1862, he enlisted as a private in Lumsden's Battery of the Confederate army where he served for two years until forced to retire because of ill health. He rejoined the battery and served until the end of the war.

Browne was a four-term state representative (1853-1859 and 1873) and served as Probate Judge for Tuscaloosa County from 1874 until his death.

He married Mary Eliza Prude in 1874 and they had five daughters and one son. The son left Tuscaloosa at an early age to work on newspapers in Illinois. (Some material from Past Horizons, Tuscaloosa Historic Preservation Society, 1978)

Creator

Union Furniture Company

Source

Union Furniture Company

Publisher

Union Furniture Company

Date

1999

Contributor

Tuscaloosa Public Library
Betty Slowe (Description)

Rights

Union Furniture Company

Type

Drawing

Identifier

1025

Coverage

Tuscaloosa (AL)

Original Format

Drawing

Physical Dimensions

8 inches by 10 inches