Our Communities

Title

Our Communities

Description

History of towns and communities in West Alabama

Items in the Our Communities Collection

Aliceville POW Museum
Aliceville is the largest city in Pickens County, Alabama. It was home to a World War II German prisoner of war camp, which is now the focus of the Aliceville Museum.

Located in the southern part of the county, Aliceville is named for Alyce…

Buhl Service Station
This station belonged to O.M. Davis, who lived behind the station. The pump on the left was for oil. A quart glass container was provided; the customer pumped out a quart and poured it into his car. The gas pump is in the middle. On the right is a…

First Presbyterian Church, Carrollton, AL
The First Presbyterian Church of Carrollton, Alabama, was first organized in 1839. It then dissolved in 1844, was reorganized in 1853, and again in 1868. The one-room church building was erected in 1901, after the original church burned. The church…

Phoenix Hotel, Carrollton, AL
The historic Phoenix Hotel in Carrollton, Alabama, showed the ravages of time as it faced demolition in 1966.

The hotel was built in 1841 and was demolished to make room for a new county activities building. Probate Judge Robert H. Kirksey said…

Phoenix Hotel, Carrollton, AL
The historic Phoenix Hotel in Carrollton, Alabama, was built in 1841.

The hotel was a two-story, 27-room hotel located on the main street just across from the county courthouse. In the old days when transportation was a problem, men who served on…

Stuart Purser Mural, Carrollton, AL
The Carrollton, Alabama, Post Office and Agriculture Building was built in 1940 and is still in use as the post office today. It has a mural entitled “Farm Scene with Senator Bankhead” painted in 1943 by Stuart R. Purser. Senator William B.…

First Coker Tomato Club, 1916
Rural reformers developed tomato clubs for girls in the early 1900s. The club got girls interested in home economics which would benefit them when they became rural mothers. Keeping girls up to date with the latest advances relating to the home…

Echola School
The Echola School was located at the intersection of Echola and Upper Columbus Roads in the community of Echola in northwest Tuscaloosa County, Alabama..

The community was settled about 1828 and was a prosperous farming area before the Civil War.…

Gordo City Hall and Jail
The building was built in 1914 by Gordo's first town council to house Mayor Benjamin Garrison's office, city courtroom and jail. It was used as city hall and jail until 1949. Records show it to be the oldest remaining brick structure in Gordo. It was…

Williams Hotel, Gordo, AL
The Willams Hotel was located on Main Street in Gordo, Alabama.

Settlement of the town of Gordo, located on U.S. Hwy 82, 23 miles west of Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in east-central Pickens County, began before 1847. A web site, www.postalhistory.com,…